111

Tuesday 17 September 2019

Seniors: Who in your family has researched your genealogy?

answers1: I did some genealogy on the Barlow and Clayton side of my
family history. <br>
No skeletons of note. They were all quite poor mill workers and weavers <br>
in 1870's, Yorkshire. I seem to descend from good old fashioned peasant <br>
stock on my Mother's side. Some emigrated to Utah after the LDS missions <br>
became established in England. <br>
Still have a lot to do on my Dad's side of the family who were all from <br>
Scotland.
answers2: I have an uncle from my mother's side who has completed
researching our genealogy and has actually published a family history.
On my father's side I have tried to do some research but have not been
successful simply because the root is Asian. Genealogy on Asian
impossible simply because births, marriage, and deaths are not as used
like the Europeans.
answers3: All our skeletons were let out of their closets years ago,
no big things, no mass murderers or big criminals. <br>
I have visited the small village in SE Poland where my father was
born, met relations there, had a huge family reunion there 2 years
ago. <br>
All very interesting, smart people on that side, many doctors and
teachers as well as small business owners. Not what I expected at all,
I thought people from a small town would be allot more simple, they
did allot with their lives. <br>
Wish I could find out more on my mother's side, Mohawks and Germans.
answers4: My grandmother which my aunt continued. Her daughter works
on it now. My brother has worked on our father's side. I have copies
of everything people have documented so far. I love getting it out ad
reading it from time to time. <br>
<br>
I ended up with a "household diary" from a long ago relative with
posts from the 1860's. It's a bit hard to read but great fun to look
at.
answers5: My brother-in-law has been into genealogy for 40+ years.n
He traced my family's tree since people in the family kept records.
Nothing tremendously interesting and nothing new. And he's still
tracing his own but has gotten stumped by the woman who came over to
the US, she married several times so figuring out who she was and
where she went has gotten him bogged down, and I think he said he
suspects that some of those "marriages" were not legit so there are no
records for some of them.
answers6: I haven't done much digging but I'm highly fascinated by it.
It turned out to be a lot more time consuming than I thought it would
be. Later on, I'd like to do more. <br>
<br>
Tell us more about the skeleton! :)
answers7: I've spent the past 15 years with my nose to the grindstone
doing genealogy for my family, all 4 sides. No family tree would ever
be finished or completed but I did what I could and ended up with 13
trees plus the main one (that had all 4 sides). The program changed
on Ancestry.com and got too frustrating for me to compete with that so
my research has ended. I didn't find any skeletons, nothing really
surprising except maybe how many children died in their early years.
answers8: I have for about 40 years and have documented back to the
1600's in Salem, Mass and the 1400's in Great Britain. Of course I
found interesting facts about people. Some about the families they
married into, some of the things I found interesting were how closely
connected different branches were the further back I went.
answers9: I'm my family's genealogist and so far haven't found any
"skeletons" in any closets. Spend hours on ancestry.com. Before I
became a member of ancestry I had written away (which cost me a small
fortune btw) for birth, marriage and death records from all over the
eastern and midwestern states. <br>
<br>
I did find out that George H. W. Bush is my 10th cousin (George Bush
is my 10th cousin, once removed) which is a hoot since I'm a
dyed-in-the-wool Democrat. Our common ancestor is my 9th
great-grandmother. I like how ancestry.com tells you your
relationship to others in the family tree. <br>
<br>
I've also spent a fortune on having copies made of the many photos
I've collected from all of my relatives as well as distant relatives
I've met through ancestry. I'm putting everything together in five
different scrapbooks/albums for my sisters to pass on down to their
children. Altogether that's twenty-five albums/scrapbooks (five
albums per sister covering different branches of the family). <br>
<br>
I'm following through on the four branches but one branch has so much
material that I need to do two albums for it. That one branch is what
got me started on genealogy - when my grandmother showed me what was
called a "birthday" book which was begun in the early 1860s in which
an ancestor included marriage and death records and obituary's and
listed the names and ages of relatives - along with a few photos and
pages taken out of a family bible and glued into the book. It also
included the Dayton OH newspaper account of President Lincoln's
assassination. Wish I owned the book but it was given to my
grandmother's only daughter. My grandmother was quite the pack rat;
she left me letters from the early to mid 1860s and all the documents
she had in her possession; including a seven year apprenticeship
agreement from the 1800s between an employer and a great-great
grandfather.
answers10: My cousin and i have been researching our family for a few
years,we found that our great great grandmother stood trial for murder
in the 1840's, her 4th husband died,and poison was discovered in his
stomach, arsenic, but she got off,she married again,and after 2 years
he was dead as well! i think we have a serial killer in the family,i
have a very old photo of her,she looked lovely,she lived to be 96 and
would never talk about her trial or her other husbands.

No comments:

Post a Comment